What is Bus Connects?
BusConnects is a plan to fundamentally transform Dublin’s bus system, so that journeys by bus will be fast, reliable, punctual, convenient and affordable. It will enable more people to travel by bus than ever before, and allow bus commuting to become a viable and attractive choice for employees, students, shoppers and visitors.
BusConnects aims to overhaul the current bus system in the Dublin region by:
- building a network of “next generation” bus corridors on the busiest bus routes to make bus journeys faster, predictable and reliable;
- introducing Bus Rapid Transit, a higher quality of bus system, on three of the busiest corridors;
- completely redesigning the network of bus routes to provide a more efficient network, connecting more places and carrying more passengers;
- developing a state-of-the-art ticketing system using credit and debit cards or mobile phones to link with payment accounts and making payment much more convenient;
- implementing a cashless payment system to vastly speed up passenger boarding times;
- revamping the fare system to provide a simpler fare structure, allowing seamless movement between different transport services without financial penalty;
- implementing a new bus livery providing a modern look and feel to the new bus system;
- rolling out new bus stops with better signage and information and increasing the provision of additional bus shelters; and
- transitioning - starting now - to a new bus fleet using low-emission vehicle technologies.
For passengers BusConnects will deliver:
- reliable and punctual bus services;
- faster journey times for passengers;
- comfortable, modern vehicles;
- high frequency service on busy routes;
- an easy to understand network;
- universal passenger information - at roadside, on apps and on vehicles;
- simpler fare structures and easier payment; and
- seamless integration with other transport types.
For businesses BusConnects will:
- by improving transport, make Dublin a more attractive location for employers;
- increase potential employment catchment areas by providing new transport links;
- reduce commuting time for employees; and
- reduce car congestion and enhance the attractiveness of urban centres for shopping and social purposes.
For cyclists BusConnects will:
- deliver a step-change in cycling facilities on the key radial routes into the city centre;
- provide safe cycling facilities, largely segregated from other traffic, along these corridors; and
- provide the opportunity for more people to cycle to work, school, college or for recreational purposes.
For visitors BusConnects will:
- ensure a simpler and more understandable bus transport system;
- enable easy use of the bus system, without the need to purchase advance tickets or payment cards;
- make more places accessible for visitors and tourists; and
- reduce the impacts of traffic congestion in urban centres.
For the environment BusConnects will:
- enable more people to use sustainable transport;
- transition the bus fleet to low emission vehicles;
- assist Ireland to meet its climate change targets; and
- provide a greener transport system for everyone.